Madagascar provides a complete environment for organizing one's research, from new software development to running computational experiments to publishing the experimental results in papers and reports, archiving them for future usage, and sharing them with colleagues and sponsors. Madagascar school has been organized many times around the word. It provides a platform for Madagascar users to learn and communicate with the developers. This Madagascar school will introduce the advanced usages for the users with fundamental knowledge of Madagascar. Besides the lecture section, this school will also features a discussion section, in which the participants are welcome to share the research experiences using Madagascar. This Madagascar school is convened by Prof. Sergey Fomel from the University of Texas at Austion and hosted by Prof. Qizhen Du from China University of Petroleum.
August 8-9, 2015.
|Before the school: Friday, August 7, 2015|
|12:00-4:00||Bring your laptop and get individual help with Madagascar|
|Gang Fang, Yang Liu, Zhiguang Xue|
|Day 1: Saturday, August 8, 2015|
|8:00-8:20||Welcome (Qizhen Du)|
|8:20-10:00||Writing and publishing a reproducible paper using LaTeX and Madagascar (Yang Liu)|
|10:30-12:00||Madagascar principles (Sergey Fomel)|
|1:00-3:00||Madagascar development: writing programs in C, C++, and Fortran (Zhiguang Xue)|
|3:30-4:30||Matlab interface (Gang Fang)|
|4:30-5:00||Contributing to Madagascar (Sergey Fomel)|
|Day 2: Sunday, August 9, 2015|
|Gang Fang, Sergey Fomel, Yang Liu, Zhiguang Xue|
Room 751 in Engineering Building C, China University of Petroleum (East China), Qingdao, China
The Madagascar School participation is free but requires an application.Please send your name and affiliation to email@example.com. The deadline is July 31, 2015.
You must download and install the Madagascar package (stable version 1.7) in the days before the school. If issues come up, there will an opportunity to get installation help on Friday, August 7. Remember to bring your laptop (Linux, Mac, or Windows) to the session!
Additional Installation Requirements
To install IPython and Jupyter notebook support:
- Install conda:
bash Miniconda-latest-[your architecture].sh
- where [your architecture] is one of
- Close and reopen the terminal window.
conda install ipython ipython-notebook
The web instructions are at:
Madagascar advanced school QQ group: 468749704
The "Madagascar School for Advanced Users in Qingdao 2015" is organized by
- Qizhen Du from The school of Geosciences, China University of Petroleum (East China)(Qingdao, China)
- Sergey Fomel from Jackson School of Geosciences, The University of Texas at Austin (Austin, USA)
- Gang Fang from Qingdao Institute of Marine Geology, China Geological Survey (Qingdao, China)
- Yang Liu from College of Geo-exploration Science and Technology, Jilin University (Changchun, China)
and hosted by
- Qizhen Du
- Gang Fang is an assistant research fellow at Qingdao Institute of Marine Geology, China Geological Survey. He received a Ph.D in Geophysics from China University of Petroleum (East China) in 2014 and was a visiting Ph.D student at Bureau of Economic Geology, The University of Texas at Austin from 2012 to 2013 sponsored by China State Scholarship Fund. His research interests are seismic modeling and seismic imaging.
- Sergey Fomel is a Professor at the Jackson School of Geosciences, the University of Texas at Austin. He received a Ph.D. in Geophysics from Stanford University in 2001. Sergey started work on Madagascar (at that time named RSF for Regularly Sampled Format) in 2003. http://www.jsg.utexas.edu/researcher/sergey_fomel/
- Yang Liu is a Professor of Geophysics at College of Geo-exploration science and technology at Jilin University, China. He received a Ph.D. in Geophysics from Jilin University in 2006 and was a Postdoctoral fellow at Bureau of Economic Geology, The University of Texas at Austin from 2007 to 2010. His research focuses mainly on seismic data processing. http://gest.jlu.edu.cn/?mod=info&act=view&id=54
- Zhiguang Xue is a second-year Ph.D. student working with Prof. Sergey Fomel at the Jackson School of Geosciences, the University of Texas at Austin. He graduated from China University of Petroleum (EastChina) with a Bachelor's Degree in Geophysics in 2012. His research interests are seismic imaging and tomography. https://www.linkedin.com/in/zhiguangxue